Flu Remedies- DIY SUNDAYS


I am currently battling the flu. It was so bad that i took some of my kids on a field trip and i left my cellphone. The worst part of it all was i did not realize what i had done until a colleague tried to call me and got someone else.

With this in mind, i wanted to share some flu remedies that i know. Please bear in mind that i do not have a medical certificate and therefore this is not an expert opinion. Please do your own research before trying these.


Garlic and Honey

This is a stable in my home. I grew up with my mom using it for our colds and flu and now i use it for my daughter.


1 head of garlic

1 cup honey


The garlic should be crushed and added to the honey.

This mixture should be sealed in an air tight container and allowed to sit for a day.

The longer the mixture is allowed to marinade the strong the potency and the better it is at treating the ailment.

I usually take 1 tsp of the honey three times daily.



Hot Ginger cinnamon tea


1 teaspoon of ginger

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of honey (or as you like)

1 glass of hot milk

Use all the ingredients to make the tea.

Ginger: Have antiviral properties, little sedative properties encouraging the rest needed and anti inflammatory properties which decrease the mucosal congestion of the throat. Ginger also has pain relieving, antiseptic and anti-oxidant properties.


Cinnamon: cinnamon has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.


Honey: honey contains multivitamins and antioxidants, along with antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It’s very helpful in flu especially to people suffering from asthma. There is a say my doctor always says it to me “you will never catch a cold if you take 1 big tablespoon of honey with half lemon juice every morning”



Fruit salad

Throw Couple of oranges, bananas, grape fruit, guava, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries and you will have a very rich plate, loaded with vitamins, antioxidants and other healthy elements and vitamins. You could also use honey as syrup and increase the overall health benefits.


Garlic Potato Healing Soup

1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed with a mortar and pestle
2 cups chopped potatoes
7 cups good-quality vegetable stock or water
1 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon butter
Croutons for garnish (optional)


1. Simmer potatoes and caraway seeds in stock or water for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are very soft.

2. Add crushed garlic and butter, stirring to combine thoroughly.

3. Serve hot with croutons on top, if desired.
Serves 2.


If you have any additional flu remedy you would like to share please leave a comment letting me know. 

Comments

  1. Oh Dear, I hope you aren't too miserable! Take care of yourself and get well soon. Thinking of you! Hugs! Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have rooibos (red bush) tea in the States? I think you might only be able to get it here, but rooibos, honey, ginger and a squirt of lemon juice is great for colds and flu!
    Hope you feel better soonest!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon!!!

    New Follower from Blog Hop till you Drop. Hoping you will follow back! =0)
    My Crazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that you have the flu. I do hope that you get better soon!

    I love natural remedies and will bookmark this post for when we may need to use some of them. I am especially excited about trying that potato soup. If you don't mind, when I make it, I'll post about it and be sure to include a link to this post.

    Here from the Thirsty for Comments Thursday hop. So glad you joined us! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally could have used this a couple weeks ago!! I hope you feel better soon!

    And, I wanted to thank you for the sweet comment you left me over the weekend. It was seriously the nicest comment I have ever gotten. It really made my day. I am so happy to hear from other talented bloggers (like yourself) that enjoy my blog. As someone who reads your blog every day, I'm flattered. So, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU. I am so so very appreciative! Lots of love!

    XO
    Shardi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips. I am a new GFC follower from the blog hop. Hope you can stop by my blog - Free eBooks Daily. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank You for Taking the Time to Leave a Comment.