The Dreaded Blankie Syndrome

I have been wanting to write this post for quite sometime but life happened. You know what i mean.

For the last year i have been dealing with the blankie syndrome.When children are babies it is extremely cute seeing them cuddled up with their blankies.However, as time progress, those cute babies often grow into busy toddlers, who cann't live without their blankies. Parents are then caught in a do or die situation. I think i am in that situation now. My daughter is 4 and she is totally hooked on her blankie. As i write this post, she is fast asleep with her blankie in hand. 

I find myself caught between taking the blankie and putting it up or allowing her to grow out of it. I guess my fear is she might not grow it out. Yet, i do not want to take it away and cause her to be psychologically in balanced(i know it sounds crazy but that is what i think). This is what i mean when i say i am caught in a do or die situation.

I am also aware that i am an enabler and most parents are without realizing it. I often try to rationalize my daughter's blankie syndrome by comparing her to other kids. I went to pick up my sister at work and saw this lady with her daughter. The little girl was clad in a school uniform with a blankie in hand. Immediately i asked her age. 7 years old the mom replies. Some how, i started thinking that my situation was not so bad, after all my daughter was only 4 and she does take her blankie to school. 
At the end of the day, i guess i want my daughter to be happy and healthy. 

Leave a comment to share your thoughts.

Comments

  1. This is concerning for me, because my little one is showing the dreaded "blankie" signs, but...

    I don't think it's as big an issue as you might think it is. I say this, but my opinion isn't really justified. For one, I don't have a four-year-old, and I'm not in your personal situation.

    Personally speaking though, I had my favorite childhood belongings, and someday way back... I just let them go. It wasn't an issue, either.

    Good luck!

    Baby Talk without the Babble

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter also loves her blankie. She is 3 1/2. She doesn't go to school right now. Instead she goes to Grandma's house while we work. Her grandmother is much more concerned about the blankie than we are. We have helped her move toward leaving the blankie in the car when we go most places. We tell her it will be safer there because we won't have a chance to lose it. But she still wants to sleep with it and she will wrap it around her boo-boos. Most of the time it doesn't turn into an issue and it does help her soothe herself.
    You know your daughter best so go with your gut about the blankie. :-)I bet it will become a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this same problem and I actually just posted about it a couple weeks ago. You can read it here:http://themeangirldiaries.blogspot.com/2011/03/genetic-condemnation.html

    I don't think there is anything wrong with a little blankie lovin', but I'm biased. :) New follower here! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm following you back - thanks for stopping by my blog! http://arizonarachel.blogspot.com

    I totally love blankies. My son loves his - he'll be 4 in June - and I have no intention of taking it away any time soon. He has it in bed and sometimes brings it downstairs if he's feeling a little out of it. Now, a binky or sucking the thumb...that's an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following now from Mom Bloggers Club. My 7 year old still likes his blankie, although he doesn't carry it out of the house now. And some nights he sleeps without it now. He doesn't ask for it as much anymore. But, they say that kids who have lovies are closer to their mommies. So, be glad!
    Michelle
    http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank You for Taking the Time to Leave a Comment.