How to Write a Blog Post


So I have been blogging now for about four years on and off. It is something I enjoy doing and it is purely my hobby. However, over my four year journey I have learned a few tips and tricks that have helped me when writing my blog post. 



 Getting Started

  • Sometimes it is hard to get started on writing your blog post especially if what you want to say is not actually what you are typing on the page. You find that you type and delete continuously; before you know it, you are at square one. So what to do?

Brainstorm Ideas

  •  It is good to have an idea of what you want to write before you begin writing. Basically, brainstorming is writing down your ideas and organizing them before you start writing.
  •  I find that brainstorming saves you a lot of time and energy. It also prevents you from having writers block in the middle of writing your post.
  •  Brainstorming helps you to focus your topic, eliminate ideas that are not in line with what you want to write about and also to find an innovative way to present your topic.

 Creating Your Title

  •  You can start writing your blog post by creating the title of your blog post. It is important that you ensure that your title concise but it most also convey what you blog post is about.
  • A good title is one that is also search engine friendly meaning it could be similar to a search query that someone would type to find information on the topic you are writing about. 
  •   When you create the title first; it also helps to frame the content. Creating the title first is also very helpful because you can always refer to your title when writing content to ensure that you do not include unnecessary information.

After Starting

  •  Once you start writing make sure your language is simple and easy to follow. It is important that you write in a way that your readers can understand exactly what you are trying to say. 

Creating your content

  • There is no hard or fast rule that says you have to begin writing your blog post by creating your title first. Sometimes when it comes to a title you can be blank. Therefore, you can write your content. Depending on your blog, you can decide to write your content based on any topic. After you have written your content you can examine what you have written and create the most suitable title for your blog post.

Do your research

  • If it is an informative post you are writing it is good to ensure that you have the most current and relevant information on the topic. Therefore, please ensure that you do adequate research.

Edit! Edit! Edit!

  • Editing your blog post is essential. I type my posts in blogger then sometimes I copy it and paste what I have typed into Microsoft Word. That way I can see not only the spelling errors but also the sentence structure errors. I them proofread my post in Microsoft Word and paste it back to blogger.
  • I know it sounds tedious but I find that when I type in Microsoft Word and paste it in to blogger that my margins are off and then I have to go back to word and do more aligning to get it to align properly on my blog. 

Preview

  • After this I preview my blog post clicking the button on the top right hand corner of blogger that says preview. This allows me to see what my post will look like when I post it. I can adjust the paragraphs and check grammar again. I try to check my grammar as much as possible because this is my weakest area. 

Visual Appeal

  • I find that adding pictures add to the visual appeal of the post. Ensure that the size and the colour of the words on your blog post makes it reader friendly. If you have written a long post you can include subheading to break up the paragraphs and to grab the reader’s attention.

Comments