Saturday, January 14, 2012

Comment Please!!!!!!


1com·ment

 noun \ˈkä-ˌment\

2
: a note explaining, illustrating, or criticizing the meaning of a writing
3
a : an observation or remark expressing an opinion or attitude <critical comments>b : a judgment expressed indirectly


We all love comments and we all want as many comments per post as possible. Why? Simply put,  for some of us comments give us feedback, it offers us a way to interact with our readers, it is also a sign of approval. Approval? Yes, often we think that persons like the post by the number of comments that post is able to generate. Often this is not a bad thing because we are able to see what our readers like. This in turn informs our blogging.

However, we tend to grade our blogs by the number of comments that we are able to generate. Often we think that our blogs are not worthwhile because we are not bun-barded with comments. This idea I disagree with. Have you ever read a great post, one that you totally love, one that makes you crack up and then you just don't comment. This can be for many reasons: you have nothing to add, you are too busy to comment, the commenting process is too tedious and the list comes on.

So my suggestions are:

  • Add reaction buttons to the end of your posts. Therefore, people can click on a reaction if they cannot comment.


  • Make the process easier. Take off the code off your comment box (this goes for me too). If you choose to do this you can click on the approval button. Therefore all comments will be approved by you before publishing. This way you can spam anything that is offensive.


  • You can covert to the new Blogger dashboard if you have not. In this new format you are able to see how many views each posts receives. What i am saying is that often your stats will be an indicator of whether your readers like your posts, not comments. 


  • Ensure that your comment is set to anyone. Therefore, anyone can comment on your blog, not just member of your blog. 


Finally a note on comment etiquette. If you go to a blog and you don't agree with the bloggers view. Do not blast the blogger; like my mom always say if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.  Remember words take on a life of there own. Be positive in your commenting.

Resource Site
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comment

10 comments:

  1. Nice post. I don't have reaction buttons, and hadn't seen the purpose for adding them. I will try to add them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with removing the "captcha" feature. I did when I first began blogging and have probably only had 5 spam comments the entire year. For me, that's worthwhile to make the commenting process easier for my readers. Thanks for stopping by the Super Saturday email hop! I've subscribed to your emails now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! As a fairly new blogger I was a little bummed that I had some followers, but little to no comment action going on. As time went on I could see my posts were at least being read in my stats so that's what I measured everything by. Now as grow I've notice a pick up in commenting and it's nice to see it hand and hand with stats. Thanks for the tips :)

    Krisitn@ MeetMeontheBrightside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great suggestions! I will add reaction buttons, I never knew what they were for...

    New follower from the Friday Blog Hop on GFC and G+ I'd love if you follow me back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good post. Nice ideas! I am going to add you to my circle of following! I would love if you would check out my blog as well.

    http://hmmargazi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower here from Weekend Hop. I agree that it's good to integrate something that lets the reader share their perspective, even if they don't have something to say that makes up a whole comments. I think the boxes option is good, but I also wish Blogger would offer a +1 or Like option that isn't connected to Google+.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true -- my grandmother always said that also -- if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything :-) Thanks for the great reminders!

    I'm visiting from Friendship Friday Blog hop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started my blog, I had no idea that people had to sign in to Word Press. When I took that off, a lot more people commented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! I agree with all, especially the last. 'If you have nothing good to say, don't say it.' :) Your mom is so smart!!

    I am your newest follower via GFC. Happy that I found your blog.

    Tami
    http://www.thethingswefindinside.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Taking the Time to Leave a Comment.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs