Sunday, November 6, 2011

Four-time Cancer Survivor Speaks

This post is actually taken from the Jamaica Online Gleaner. I read this article and I could not forget this woman's spirit. I just had to share it.

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU:


Pat Wright has beaten colon cancer twice, bone cancer once and four weeks ago removed both breasts, in her latest fight with the devastating disease.

"My only consolation this time is that I now have two new 'girls' (breasts) sized 34B," she quipped.
As much as she likes the new boobs, she says this has been the roughest time of her life, "Losing your breasts is very personal, you feel less of a woman."
The Montego Bay-based businesswoman, who runs all the spas in the three Sunset Resort group of hotels, says cancer refuses to let her go.
"I am convinced it is in my genes, and whenever I feed it, it reappears," she told Flair in an exclusive interview.

From her waist down, she says she is quite empty. "The organs are all gone, no colon, no uterus, no cervix, that's what I have to live with," she acknowledged, adding that she is emptying out which means her situation has become very serious.
But don't cry for Pat Wright if you are reading this article; instead, pray for her continued strength and optimism. Many other cancer victims relating their stories would probably have sounded bitter, but not Wright. This woman's infectious smile throughout the interview warmed the heart of this writer, gave renewed energy to the room and released sunshine into the skies.

Since age 24, Wright has been battling this scourge that has claimed the lives of millions worldwide, but each time it rears its ugly head, she fights back. In fact, she has had five great years since her last bout with the disease.
"My doctor says what has saved me is that I have had four primaries, which means, every time cancer comes to me, it's a new one, not a spread," she explains.

Worried about future
And it's not as if she is not worried about her future, she is, and admits, that she is giving herself another five good years on earth, "anything after that is brawta".
Cancer has not stopped the well-known fashion designer, aesthetician and founder of Wright Style, as she thinks the time has come to step up. "I have been joking around since 2006 to write my book and I must now work towards finishing it," she stated.

According to her, the Lord has saved her so that she can lead people to wellness, something she says she needs to do on a larger scale. Her concerns are heightened by the fact that when she found out in May that she had breast cancer, there was no facility here offering alternative treatment.
Coming out of a four-and-a-half hour surgery, as is normal, she awake in a hospital being fed with antibiotics, when what she really wanted to be treated with were natural foods such as guinea hen weed, soursop leaf, noni and the new magic food 'Meringa'.

On her blog: http://cancersurvivorx2.blogspot.com, she blames herself for bringing the disease back on herself, noting that she had fallen down badly in the type of food she eats.
In her last interview with Flair in 2009, she said her sugar-free diet consisted of eating a large quantity of raw food, which regenerated new healthy cells for her.
Back then, Wright also ate, slept and dreamt glyconutrients. "I take Glyconutrient Plus, it's for your endocrine system. Mannacleanse cleanses the liver and Advanced Ambrotose (AA), which is a powder and the real 'big boy', is an immune support formula," she explained.
She pointed out that neither of the supplements she took tells you they will help cancer patients. "But they recommend it to build up your immune system, which it does, as it contains the eight simple sugars you need for life," she stated.
Looking back, she says she realised that after her friend Norma Shirley died last year, she came off her diet and really came off everything, including life, "why, I don't know, as Norma was 75, I haven't reached 60 yet."

She admits losing her verve and need to live this time around as well. "I was no longer spiritually tuned, I couldn't even remember the entire 'Lord's prayer' as I tried to pray - I had lost it! Thanks to Reverend Dr Sheila McKeithen of the Universal Centre of Truth, I got back my spiritual path so I could face the medical doctors.

"There the pain started again biopsies, bone scans ending with breasts going - only one was in trouble but why risk the other one coming back to haunt me? So here I sit with two breasts gone and two new ones being groomed to take their place," she said.
Of course it's back to the oncologist soon, to hear if her receptors will receive chemotherapy which almost killed her in 2006.

"Matters not, whether they will or not, as I'm not walking that way again. The little memory I've retained from the two rounds I did, I will not chance it being taken away from me, so the answer is no, no chemo, just back to my strict lifestyle and God's grace ... and romaine lettuce for the rest of her life.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I LOVE spirit like that, what a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I was feeling quite sad reading the start of this story 'til I read this, "But don't cry for Pat Wright if you are reading this article; instead, pray for her" and that is so true all into itself! We all need encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a beautiful Lady! No one can ever guess the struggles of someone else's life just by their looks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Taking the Time to Leave a Comment.

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs