Sweet Jamaica- Holiday Celebrations


CULTURAL CELEBRATIONS
I know you must be tired of hearing this but i love my island home with all its faults, flaws and warts. The first week of August is filled with Emancipation and Independence celebrations.  Every we celebrate the emancipation day, the day the slaves were freed in Jamaica and Independence Day, the day Jamaica ceased being a colony of Britain. I think these celebrations are important; with the advent of globalization it is so easy for cultures to be lost or discarded. My daughter will be five (5) on August 25, exactly one month after my birthday, and currently her world seems to be very Americanized (no offence intended to my American readers). My fear is that she will be an American child living in Jamaica. Therefore, I love this time of the year, nationalism seems to be the order of the day. Therefore, she will be able to experience first hand the various celebrations and acquire an appreciation for them.

AGENDA
So, I know i will be off to Negril on the 6th and i take lots of lovely pictures to share. I am hoping to go to Port Royal as well and i promise to take you along if i do. Hopefully you will be seeing lots of pics in the up coming weeks.


Comments

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    I'm a new follower over from Relax and Surf.
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very cool! I LOVE hearing about it! Not tired of it at all! :)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank You for Taking the Time to Leave a Comment.

Popular posts from this blog

10 Reasons Why Men Should Respect Women

Creating the Ultimate Girl Squad

Beach Days + Road Trip - DRAMA